Science experiment set-up sparks fire at USU lab

2013-02-27T10:51:00Z Science experiment set-up sparks fire at USU labThe Associated Press The Associated Press
February 27, 2013 10:51 am  • 

LOGAN — Authorities say a fire at a Utah State University lab sparked when a combustible material was placed too close to heater being used for a science experiment.

Logan fire officials say they were called to the new College of Agriculture building about 8 p.m. Tuesday.

They say they found smoke coming from a lab in the basement of the building, but say a fire sprinkler helped keep the flames within a single room.

No students or instructors were in the lab when firefighters responded. No injuries reported.

Crews say there was limited fire damage, but a significant amount of water damage.

They estimated the damage to be $25,000.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.