Details for Education/Health Reporter
This reporting position helps plan and produce engaging stories of both broad, general interest and on specific topics revolving around Utah County education and health care.
The reporter will become ingrained in the local community, becoming an expert on who’s who and what’s what of education and health care, including: Brigham Young University, Utah Valley University and the county’s public school systems. In health care, expertise will be expected with our system of health care providers.
The Daily Herald has a strong emphasis on print products, with a partnering emphasis on digital platforms which attract an average of 600,000 users monthly. As a part of Ogden Newspapers, the Daily Herald is partnered with its sister paper, the Ogden Standard-Examiner, which means stories of regional and state relevance and impact publish in both publications, generating further reach across the Wasatch Front and a broader audience for content as the third and fourth largest newspapers in the state of Utah.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include the following:
Conducts and/or participates in story, art, photo planning to successfully integrate all elements into effective story packages on a diversity of subjects that are meaningful and helpful to readers from all walks of life.
In addition to writing stories for print and online products, this position will also produce content for the Daily Herald’s social media platforms. For instance, when covering a campaign event, the reporter might also simultaneously be live tweeting, Instagramming or streaming on Facebook. A strong knowledge of all these networking platforms is vital for interaction with our reader base.
An ideal candidate:
- Is a strong representative of the newsroom to the public.
- Produces strong, compelling content, averaging two bylines every workday.
- Is capable to utilize camera equipment to shoot own photographs on assignments.
- Works with photographers to ensure other stories have corresponding high impact visuals.
- Takes on special projects as requested by supervisors and as developed independently.
- Participates in news and newsroom planning meetings.
- Evening and weekend shifts will be required, commonly one on call weekend shift every few weeks.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
The ideal candidate will embrace our passion for community journalism and excitement in breaking news situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or another related field.
Qualifications: 1-3 years of journalism experience. Those with knowledge of Utah – its leaders, cities, topics important to residents and events – will have an advantage.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret government meeting agendas, meetings and other related documentation.
- Ability to report on a wide range of stories from school board meetings to boiling down complex political or policy issues related to education and health care.
- Ability to form professional relationships with education and health care officials while simultaneously holding the powerful accountable.
- Proficiency in all social media platforms
- Ability to multi-task and produce content for both print and online while posting live updates to social media, taking notes, conducting interviews and juggling other job functions.
- Organized with strong time-management skills
- Understanding of Utah public records laws, the GRAMA system, as well as FOIA to know what information you have a right to and how to appeal if your records requests are denied.
- Natural curiosity and strong sense of news judgment.
- Ability to dig for and generate stories that are meaningful to the community.
- Proficiency in basic math abilities to turn complex topics into meaningful stories. This position includes covering tax and budget hearings, which means translating dollars and percentages into articles, graphics and supplemental content.
As part of Ogden Newspapers, the Daily Herald offers a full benefits package, along with a professional work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
- Education Level
- Bachelors Degree
- Employee Type
- Full Time
- Daily Herald