You are the owner of this page.
A1 A1
breaking featured
Man advanced towards passerby before Provo shooting, police say

Although the investigation is still ongoing, officials released new details on social media about the fatal shooting near student housing in Provo earlier this week.

Around 8 p.m. on Monday, Jeremy Sorensen, 26, and an 18-year-old woman were physically fighting in the driveway of a fourplex near 500 N. 200 East.

He and the woman knew each other, but the nature of the relationship is still unknown, according to a Facebook post from the Provo Police Department.

Another man driving by the area stopped to intervene in the fight and confronted Sorensen with a gun.

“Mr. Sorensen ignored several clear verbal warnings and continued to strike the female with a closed fist, bite her, and then began stomping on her head,” the post stated.

When the woman broke free from the fight and ran behind the passerby, Sorensen advanced toward them. Witnesses told police that the passerby gave more verbal warnings before firing two shots at Sorensen.

Officers arrived at the scene soon after and administered first aid. Sorensen was transported to the Utah Valley Hospital and died of his injuries sometime Monday night.

Investigators said the woman suffered a concussion and other substantial injuries during that assault.

The names of the passerby and the woman were not released. The Utah County Attorney’s Office is still determining whether or not to press charges.

“There is still a significant and ongoing investigation taking place,” the post stated. “All persons are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.”

In March 2016, Sorensen pleaded guilty and no contest to class A misdemeanors of assault, attempted assault by prisoner and propelling an object at a health care provider.

According to charges, he threw two pans at a pregnant co-worker at Del Taco in Orem and fought with officers during his arrest. Sorensen was transported to a local hospital and also fought with healthcare workers before he was booked into jail.

He underwent anger management treatment and served more than three months in jail for the assault charge.

Friends and family members shared memories and condolences on Facebook along with numerous pictures of themselves with Sorensen.

“I have never had someone so close to me have this happen to them. In life Jeremy, you taught me about working hard, loyalty, and friendship. In death, you teach me compassion,” wrote Haley Sotelo, one of his friends.

Anson Dipnarinesingh wrote that Sorensen loved stories and dreamed of becoming a screenplay writer. He read classic novels, including “Les Miserables,” and enjoyed watching musicals, movies and dramas.

“Jeremy had a hard lot in life and trouble seemed to follow him around every corner, though he wasn’t blameless himself. He was, however, humble. And I have hope in the promise that this world will be flipped upside down one day, that the lowly will be crowned and the proud will be brought down,” he wrote.

He added that although Sorensen was antisocial and honest in his opinions, he worked hard and enjoyed visiting his young son.

“He was a good friend and I hope that his family and his friends can be comforted in this super hard time,” wrote Autumn Harding, one of his friends. “I will remember the good times of FHE, Comic Con, hanging at our apartments, going to movies, pie night, institute activities, playing basketball and Little Caesar’s pizza.”

Isaac Hale, Daily Herald 

Fans cheer as Robert Loud performs during the first show of the final season for the Provo Rooftop Concert Series held Friday in downtown Provo.

BYU football coach plans to help raise awareness about domestic violence in Utah

In the past year, more than 944 community members trying to escape domestic violence turned to the Center for Women and Children in Crisis.

Although 323 individuals were able to stay at the shelter for a time, shelter employees had to turn away 318 women and children throughout the year because the facility was full.

“Domestic violence lives in secret,” said center director Laurie Loader. “I would encourage you to be that save person for someone to reach out and be able to talk to about what’s going on in their life.”

She and Brigham Young University head coach Kalani Sitake spoke to dozens of community members on Friday evening to call attention to the problem of domestic violence in Utah County.

“We should raise awareness and have eyes everywhere to see the signs,” Sitake said. “It’s going to take all of us to do this.”

One in three Utah women will experience domestic abuse in her lifetime, according to statistics from the organization. Another one in three women in the state will experience some form of sexual abuse.

Sitake encouraged community members to speak up about topics that are uncomfortable to confront. People call the fire department when a house catches fire, he said, and those facing domestic violence should reach out to the crisis center in times of distress.

“I want people to know there are people who care about them and pray for them daily,” he said.

Board member Valerie Reese said the center is planning on building another facility in Utah County with the space to house 75 to 80 people. Women and children seeking help usually stay at the shelter for 30 to 45 days.

She advised event attendees to be more compassionate and to educate themselves on the challenges and warning signs of domestic violence and sexual assault.

“Be the voice. Be the hands. Be the workers that help everybody in our community feel safe and happy,” Reese said.

Draper man charged with attempted murder after reportedly intentionally hitting 11-year-old with his car

A 19-year-old Draper man has been charged with attempted homicide after he reportedly intentionally ran into an 11-year-old girl with his car.

Steven Becky was charged Thursday in the 4th Judicial District Court in Provo with one count of the first-degree felony of attempted criminal homicide, aggravated murder, one count of the second-degree felony of driving with a schedule I or II controlled substance and causing death or serious bodily injury, one count of the third-degree felony of possession of a controlled substance with the intent to distribute, one count of the class B misdemeanor of possession or use of a controlled substance and one count of the class B misdemeanor of possession of drug paraphernalia.

An attempt to commit aggravated murder which causes a serious bodily injury is punishable by a maximum sentence of imprisonment for at least 15 years, according to court documents.

Becky intentionally ran into the girl with his car while she was riding an electric scooter on May 31, according to court documents. The girl has been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, subarachnoid hemorrhage, pelvis fractures and multiple cuts.

A surveillance camera shows Becky driving on the left side of the residential street while the girl was riding in the opposite direction of Becky on the opposite side of the street, according to court documents. Video then reportedly showed Becky making a sharp turn into the child.

“The angle of Becky’s vehicle indicates that he was not attempting to merely return to the proper lane of travel but indicates that he directly targeted the child on her moped,” the documents read.

The front of the car hit the child, throwing her over the hood, into the windshield and onto a driveway. Becky’s car overturned and stopped in the grass strip adjacent to the road.

He got out of the car, was behaving erratically, and at one point rushed toward the girl in an aggressive manner and had to be restrained by two people until police arrived, according to the documents.

At the hospital, Becky reportedly acted emotionally erratic and told police he didn’t see her and didn’t like her because she’s white. He reportedly also told police he used meth, mushrooms, acid and was under the influence.

He later said he hit the girl because he didn’t want her to grow up sad and depressed and said “we all have to die,” according to court documents.

A search warrant for Becky’s vehicle found marijuana, dab pen refills and two packages of THC that Becky was mailing to someone, according to the documents.

Grant Hindsley, Daily Herald 

The Spaghetti Bolognese with Meatballs and House Made Sausage at Oregano Italian Kitchen in one of its former Provo locations.

Jared Lloyd, Daily Herald 

ALA senior Autumn Snyder rides in the pole-pending event during Friday's fifth performance at the 2019 Utah High School Rodeo Finals in Heber City on June 7, 2019.

Pleasant Grove pool ordered to create new protocol after chlorine incident sent 50 to hospital

The Utah County Health Department ordered Pleasant Grove Veteran’s Memorial Swimming Pool to create protocol to address what happens if a pump shuts down following a Tuesday incident that sent about 50 people to area hospitals for chlorine poisoning.

“Protocols for when (a) pump is shut down will be updated to remove patrons until chemicals have been verified,” a Utah County Health Department inspection report from Wednesday reads. “We will verify this before reopening the pool.”

The pool’s chemical levels tested within acceptable ranges Wednesday, according to inspection reports obtained through a public records request. Utah County Health Department inspectors spent an hour and 15 minutes at the pool that morning.

The pool manager told inspectors the pool will work with lifeguards to get swimmers out of the pool if the pump shuts down again, according to the inspection report. The pump has never turned off before and has not shut off again since Tuesday.

A follow-up inspection is required before the pool reopens and is scheduled for Monday, according to the inspection. The chlorine incident is believed to have been caused by equipment failure.

Lindon and American Fork pools are allowing Pleasant Grove pass holders to swim at their facilities while the Pleasant Grove pool remains closed.

Low exposures to chlorine can lead to symptoms such as coughing or eye and throat irritation, while higher levels can lead to more serious symptoms such as fluid accumulating in the lungs and airways, leading to respiratory distress.

Inspection reports from the last nine years have not identified any major problems with the pool. The report from an inspection on May 17 found no issues, but did ask for broken tile in the women’s changing room to be fixed and for soap to be replaced.

“Everything looks good,” the inspection reads.

Reports from previous years have brought up issues that need to be fixed, such as lights that needed to be repaired before nighttime swimming was allowed.

The Utah County Health Department tests and inspects pools before they are allowed to open. It drops in once a month afterward for testing, and pools are responsible for doing additional testing, as well.

Requiring the additional pump protocol is not something required by the state, according to Aislynn Tolman-Hill, spokeswoman for the Utah County Health Department.

“It is something we are asking them to do,” she said.

She said the health department has no plans to fine the pool, and that it has not had any violations. She referenced the May 17 inspection, which found no issues.

“Everything was up to code, everything looked good,” Tolman-Hill said.

She said Pleasant Grove and the pool’s manager have been very cooperative following the incident and have done what has been required