Utah County is currently home to nine movie theaters, but over the years there have been many places people sat down to enjoy a great flick.
Many of Utah County's most memorable theaters are no longer open or have been demolished.
These 15 movie theaters now exist only in our memories.
- By Stacy Johnson, Daily Herald
What would a college town be without a dollar theater? Well, as of now, that's Provo. Movies 8, one of the cheapest dates and a staple of the Provo community, closed its doors in March 2017 after the property was purchased to make way for The Mix at Water's Edge, a mixed-used development still under construction.
The theater originally opened in 1988.
The Uinta Theater, previously known as the Princess Theater, opened in 1912. It was located an 33 E. Center St. in Provo.
The building was ordered by the city to be fixed or torn down after safety concerns emerged in 1991.
The Fox Theatre was located at 233 W. 1230 North in Provo and opened in 1968. The theater was closed in September 1987 and was later demolished. It was replaced by a McDonald's.
Located at 56 N. University Ave. in Provo, the Academy Theatre opened May 9, 1941 with the film "Kitty Foyle," according to historic issues of the Daily Herald.
The theater was closed on Dec. 10, 1998 and the building was torn down. The Wells Fargo Building is now located where the Academy Theatre once stood.
At one point, Academy Theatre screened films for the Sundance Film Festival.
Located at 61 E. Center St. in Provo, the Paramount Theatre has since been demolished.
The theater opened on July 8, 1914 under the name Columbia Theater, and had live entertainment at the time. It's opening night starred Emma Lucy Gates.
The name of the theater was changed in the early 1920s to the Paramount Theatre, and in 1927 the theater was the first in the area to feature an illuminated "tube-light" sign outside, according to historical Daily Herald accounts.
The Paramount Theatre was torn down in 1991 and the seats were installed at the Springville Playhouse. The Sixty Three Apartments building, which is the home of Good Thyme Eatery, The Balcony and Roll With It Creamery now stands in its place.
The Strand Theatre was originally named the Ellen Theatre and promoted its "Moving Pictures and Illustrated Songs of Quality" with a 10 cent admission as early as 1909.
The name was changed to the Strand Theatre in 1917 and remained until the theater closed in the early 1960s.
The theater was located at 150 W. Center St. in Provo, where the Provo Marriott Hotel now stands.
The Provo Theatre originally opened as a live performance theater in Provo under the name the Bonita Theater in 1928, according to historic Daily Herald reports.
The name was later changed to the Orpheum and then on Nov. 16, 1935, the theatre reopened under the name the Provo Theatre.
The theater, which was located at 340 W. Center St. in Provo, reportedly closed in the 1940s-1950s, and the building was formerly the home of the Mary Kawakami College of Beauty.
A four-screen theater opened at Carillon Square in Orem in 1977, called the Carillon Square Four-plex Theatre.
The theater, located at 309 E. University Parkway in Orem, closed its doors in 2000.
Water Gardens Spanish Fork
Water Gardens Spanish Fork 8 movie theater was a discount theater in Spanish Fork before it closed in 2016.
When the theater opened on Nov. 26, 1997, tickets were $1.50 before 6 p.m. and $2.50 after 6 p.m.
The theater was located at 790 Expressway in Spanish Fork.
The Arch Theater in Spanish Fork opened July 8, 1949 at 757 N. Main St.
The theater had 670 seats and was “one of the most modern in design and construction in the state,” according to Daily Herald reports. Officials at the time said the building was also designed to be fireproof.
The theater closed down in the 1970s and was demolished in the 1980s.
Located at 48 W. Utah Ave. in Payson, the Star Theatre was formerly known as the Gayety Theatre. Newspaper reports show that the Gayety Theatre was open as early as 1909. The name was changed in the early 1920s to the Star Theater.
Historic Daily Herald reports show that the theater closed in the 1950s.
The Cameo Theatre was located at 56 W. Main St. in American Fork.
According to historical reports in the American Fork Citizen, the theater was originally called the Realart Theatre until it was sold in July 1926, when it was renamed Cameo Theatre.
The theater was later closed and the building is now home to Christensen's.
In 1914, the State Street Playhouse in Lehi was renamed the Royal Theatre, and the theatre held a grand opening in September of that year.
Historic Lehi Banner reports say that the theater had 700 seats. The theatre showed motion pictures as well as hosted live theater.
The theater reportedly closed in the 1970s. It was located at 121 E. State St. in Lehi.
Central Square 4
Located in the Central Square, the Central Square 4 theater -- originally called the Mann 4 Theatre -- opened in November 1979.
The theater, later owned by Carmike Cinema, closed in August 2000.
According to the Moving Picture World historic magazine, the Orient Theatre in American Fork opened Nov. 1, 1913 and had 400 seats. The magazine highlighted that the theater had almost all aisle seats as each row only had 3 seats.
The magazine also pointed out that the operating room was fireproof, built of cement with the wood frame plastered with asbestos.
Records don't detail exactly where the theater was located in American Fork or when it closed.
There were also several drive-in movie theaters in Utah County that were favorites among local residents. Check them out here.