The Logan Utah Temple was announced Oct. 6, 1876. Ground was broken May 18 the following year. President John Taylor dedicated it May 17, 1884. It was the only temple Taylor dedicated. It was built entirely by volunteer labor, taking seven years in the process. On Dec. 4, 1917, fire broke out in the temple and caused extensive smoke and water damage. Its origin was in electrical wiring. Later, it was gutted and rebuilt inside and rededicated in 1979 by President Spencer W. Kimball.