The Orem Fire Department responded to a fire at the New Chinese Gourmet buffet, 1428 N. State Street, Orem at 2:30 p.m. Thursday.

According to Battalion Chief Ryan Peterson, the fire was of an electrical origin in the attic of the restaurant.

“It took 20 minutes to put out the fire,” Peterson said. “There were no injuries and the estimated cost is in excess of $100,000.”

The fire occurred just after the lunch rush and according to Peterson the restaurant is closed until further notice.

A 32-year veteran of covering news in Utah County, Genelle covers Provo, Orem, Faith/Religion, including the LDS Church and general assignments.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!