Though Orem wasn't incorporated as its own municipality until 1919, the area was home to many residents as early as the 1860s and 1870s.

According to historic reports through the National Register of Historic Places, before it became the Town of Orem and eventually the City of Orem, the area was known as the "Provo Bench."

Many of the earliest residents of the Provo Bench were fruit farmers, and State Street at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century was home to many orchards. Heading down State Street at the time, meant going past many fruit stands. 

Orem was incorporated on May 5, 1919, but some of the historic homes and buildings still stand throughout the city today. 

These buildings are all either listed on the National Register of Historic Places, have been designated as Historic Marker Sites or are listed as local Historic Register Sites.

-Stacy Johnson, Daily Herald

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!