Provo was officially incorporated in 1849, and is home to a variety of historic buildings that are still being used throughout the city.
Downtown Provo is home to many historic buildings, which we featured last week. But what about the area outside of downtown? Well, there are plenty of historic buildings there too.
Here are 15 of the many historic buildings in Provo, outside of downtown, all of which are included in the National Register of Historic Places.
-Stacy Johnson, Daily Herald
Hannah Maria Libby Smith House
This home at 315 E. Center St. was built in 1875 for Hannah Smith, sixth wife of George A. Smith. Hannah raised her sister’s son, John Henry Smith, whose son, George Albert Smith, was a president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Harvey H. Cluff House
This home at 174 N. 100 East was built in 1877.
Harvey Cluff, the original owner of the home, was an ecclesiastical and business leader in Provo, one of the founders of Brigham Young Academy and served as a Provo city councilman. He also served as the president of the company that published The Enquirer, the local newspaper and a predecessor of The Daily Herald.
George Taylor Jr. House
Built in 1885, this home at 187 N. 400 West was built for George Taylor Jr., vice-president of the Taylor Brothers Company, the first big “department store” in Provo.
It was restored by Habitat for Humanity in 2013.
The Silver Row homes were built about 1890, and it is made of five brick apartments. They are an one of the earliest examples of multi-family units in Utah. The buildings have had many owners over more than 125 years, and the homes have been used as rental properties. It is located at 621-645 W. 100 North.
The Hines Mansion at 383 W. 100 South was built in 1895 for R. Spencer Hines. Hines was a successful businessman in Provo, and at the time, his home was considered one of the nicest homes in the area.
Hines owned a saloon/drug store in Provo, according to the National Register of Historic Places. At the time, liquor could only be used for medicinal purposes and sold from a drug store. On several occasions, Hines was brought to court for selling more liquor than drugs from the Palace Drug Store.
Hines died in 1898, leaving his estate to his wife Kitty Hines. She moved from the home because of financial difficulties in 1906, according to the National Register of Historic Places, and sold the house in 1922.
Today it is used as a bed and breakfast.
Provo City Library at Academy Square
Originally the building for the Brigham Young Academy, the Provo City Library at Academy Square building was built in 1892 at 550 N. University Ave. It was used as various education buildings until 1968. It sat vacant for more than 20 years and in 1997, Provo residents supported the preservation of the building.
It was remodeled, and three buildings on site were torn down to make room for a parking structure. The building was rededicated as the Provo City Library at Academy Square in 2001.
Reed Smoot House
Reed Smoot, U.S. senator, Dean of the U.S. Senate, advisor to five presidents and apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints originally owned this home at 183 E. 100 South.
According to the National Register of Historic Places, Smoot paid $4,000 to build the home in 1892.
Dr. Samuel H. Allen and Carriage House
Dr. Samuel H. Allen had this home at 125 E. 200 North built in 1896. Allen lived in the home and also had his medical office in the home until the Knight Block was built in Provo in about 1900.
Allen lived in the home until 1902. The home was later owned by John Taylor, son of the third president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who used the home to house his third wife. Taylor was excommunicated from the church and had to sell the house.
It was also owned by Dr. David Westwood, who was the vice president of Provo's first hospital, Provo General Hospital.
The Startup Building was built in 1898, to house the candy factory owned by the Startup family. According to the National Register of Historic Places, the Startup Candy Company was one of the earliest candy factories in the state when it was started in 1875 by William Startup. William died in 1878 when he was hit by a limestone cooling slab. His wife took over the business and in 1896, they created the Opera Bar, which was, according to the National Register of Historic Places, the first candy bar sold nationwide.
The business hit its peak in the 1920s, but the company struggled during the Great Depression. The company downsized, but is still around today.
Today, the Startup Building houses several startup companies based out of Provo. The building is also used for weddings and other events.
The building is located at 111 W. 600 South in Provo.
The Maeser School, an elementary school built in 1898, was the oldest school building built in Provo. It was used as an elementary school until 2001 after enrollment slowed. It was one of the longest continuously running public schools in Utah.
It was then redeveloped into senior housing and is now called Maeser School Apartments.
It is located at 162 S. 500 East in Provo.
William H. Ray House
Located at 415 S. University Ave., this home was originally built in 1898 for William H. Ray, who was an important turn-of-the-century entrepreneur in Provo. He was a financier, banker, broker and mayor of Provo. He was the first president of the State Bank of Provo.
Ray only lived in the home until 1905, though and after years of serving as a residence, the home was sold to the Utah Alcoholism Foundation and used for drug treatment programs in 1958, according to the National Register of Historic Places
Built in 1899, this home at 390 E. Center St., this home was originally owned by J. Willian Knight, son of prominent Provo resident Jesse Knight.
When the younger Knight moved to Canada, he sold the home to his sister, Amanda Inez Knight and her husband Robert E. Allen. Allen was the manager of the Knight Power Company and the secretary of the Knight Investment Company. He also served as the manager of First Security Bank in Provo. Inez Knight Allen was a prominent woman in Provo. She was the Democratic National Committee woman from Utah for four years.
John E. Booth House
This home at 59 W. 500 North was built in 1900 for John E. Booth, one of the most prominent Provo residents at the time. He served as the Provo City Attorney, and as a district judge. He also served as a city alderman, and was elected as a member of the Utah Territorial Assembly. He served in the Utah Territorial Senate and was elected as mayor of Provo in 1891. He served twice as the president of the Provo City School Board.
He also had several business dealings, and was the president of the Utah Valley Iron Mining and Manufacturing Company.
Provo Third Ward Chapel and Assembly Hall
The Provo Third Ward Chapel and Assembly Hall was built by Watkins in 1903 under Thomas N. Taylor. An amusement hall was later added to the structure and both were used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints until 1979. Following its vacancy, the chapel was privately bought, turned into a restaurant, and then in the '80s became a dance club known as the Ivy Tower.
The building is now home to Discovery Academy, a boarding school for troubled teens. The academy took over the historic building in 1992 and has since added on. The building is located at 105 N. 500 West in Provo.
Jesse Knight House
The home of mining magnate Jesse Knight sits at 185 E. Center St. in Provo.
Knight made his fortune after locating a mining property in the Tintic area, and moved to Provo from the Payson area shortly after. This home was built in 1905.
Knight died in 1921 and his wife Amanda Knight lived in the home until her death.
The Knights used much of their wealth to endow BYU.
Their house is now the home of Berg mortuary.
A few more ...
William D. Alexander House
Location: 91 W. 200 South, Provo
Angus, George and Martha Ansil Beebe House
Location: 489 W. 100 South, Provo
George M. Brown House
Location: 315 E. Center St., Provo
Location: 306 N. 500 West, Provo
Charles E. Davies House
Location: 388 W. 300 North, Provo
Simon P. Eggertsen Sr. House
Location: 390 S. 500 West, Provo
Joseph H. Frisby House
Location: 209 N. 400 West, Provo
Knight - Mangum House
Location: 381 E. Center St., Provo
Lakeview Tithing Office
Location: Off State Route 114 in Provo
Location: 68-82 N. 700 East, Provo
William D. Roberts House
Location: 212 N. 500 West, Provo
Thomas N. Taylor House
Location: 342.N. 500 West, Provo
John R. Twelves House
Location: 287 E. 100 North, Provo
Peter Wentz House
Location: 575 N. University Ave., Provo