After spending hours barricading himself inside an apartment in Provo, a man charged with sexually abusing his employee in Salt Lake City turned himself over to police late Wednesday evening.

Rory Scott Dean, 59, was charged last Friday with two counts of object rape, both first-degree felonies, and a class A misdemeanor of sexual battery.

The charges were filed after a woman reported that Dean had hired her to work as a model in April 2017.

On her second day of work, Dean reportedly led the woman to the attic of the office and sexually assaulted her, court documents stated. He then told her to go downstairs and change her clothes.

Court records state Dean reportedly followed the woman into the changing area and sexually assaulted her again. The woman told investigators that she was terrified and upset during the assault.

“Dean finally let her go and then told her to leave because he was going to go eat with his wife. As she was getting ready to leave, Dean threw a $50 bill at her and instructed her to ‘not tell anybody,’” court documents reported.

In May 2017, another woman said she was also working as a model and office assistant when Dean sexually abused her. Charging documents state he reportedly called her to the backroom of the office and touched her inappropriately.

Later that same month, Dean reportedly told the same woman to retrieve boxes in the attic space. He then followed her and sexually assaulted her before she slapped him and left, according to court documents.

A 3rd District Court judge in Salt Lake City issued a warrant for his arrest the same day charges were filed.

Dean also faces one charge in 4th District Court for interfering with an arresting officer, a class B misdemeanor.

The charges was filed on Thursday, one day after the Provo Police Department received a tip that Dean was living near 300 North and Freedom Boulevard in Provo.

Officers arrived at the apartment at about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, “at which point Rory barricaded in his residence and refused to come out,” according to a police report.

A SWAT team fired tear gas and pepper-spray rounds into the apartment, but Dean opened the windows and did not exit the residence for several hours.

He was eventually taken into custody and booked into the Utah County Jail at about 6:45 p.m. on a $250,000 bond and $6,000 cash-only bail.

Ashley Stilson covers crime, courts and breaking news for the Daily Herald. She can be reached at 801-344-2556 or

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!