MacNeill Trial Verdict

Scott Sommerdorf | The Salt Lake Tribune Martin MacNeill, the moment the guilty verdict was read on the count of murder. He was also found guilty of obstruction of justice early Saturday morning, November 9, 2013. MacNeill is flanked by his attorneys, Randy Spencer, left, and Susanne Gustin.

Martin MacNeill, who was convicted in November of killing his wife, was hospitalized Thursday after attempting suicide in jail.

According to the Utah County Sheriff's Office, MacNeill used a disassembled disposable razor to cut his leg and then cut his femoral artery. Deputies discovered MacNeill as he was attempting suicide at about 5:30 p.m Thursday night. 

The deputies intervened, and MacNeill was taken to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center where he was hospitalized.

Doctors told Sheriff's Office personnel that MacNeill will need to remain hospitalized through Friday and could possibly stay in the hospital for two to three additional days.

Spencer Cannon with the Utah County Sheriff's Office said that none of his injuries were life threatening.

Inmates are given disposable razors to use for shaving for 15 minutes when they need them, MacNeill had been given a razor and when deputies returned they found MacNeill had taken the razor apart and cut himself. 

Cannon couldn't speak specifically about where MacNeill was being housed when he attempted suicide but said it is not uncommon for convicts, like MacNeill, to be housed in the general prison population while they await sentencing.

"It is not uncommon for someone in his position to have that line of thinking," Cannon said. "He wasn't on suicide watch at the time, but he was being watched."

Cannon said MacNeill will be on heightened watch in the coming days to make sure he is emotionally stable.

At a hearing for separate sex abuse charges last month, MacNeill's attorney, Randy Spencer, said MacNeill wasn't doing well.

"It has been very tough on him to convicted of something he always professed he didn't do," Spencer said in November.

MacNeill was convicted of murdering his wife after a four-week trial. The prosecution said MacNeill drugged Michele and held her under the water in the bathtub of their Pleasant Grove home in April 2007.

MacNeill is set to be sentenced for murder and obstruction of justice on Jan. 9. He could face up to life in prison when he is sentenced.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!