The first day of school at Brigham Young University was Tuesday and as many students hit the books once again, we take a look at who attends BYU. Here are some interesting facts you may not know about BYU students.
There are quite a few students
BYU is home to 33,633 students -- 30,843 undergraduate students and 2,790 graduate students.
They come from all around the world
BYU students come from all 50 states in the U.S., and from more than 100 countries around the world. Students from the U.S. account for 95% of enrollment, international students make up 5%.
The top countries represented by international students are Canada, South Korea and China.
They have strong international experience
Along with international students, many BYU students have extensive international experience. Nearly 50 percent of students have lived outside of the United States.
Seventeen percent of BYU students study abroad in one of BYU's 206 study abroad programs in 75 countries.
Many also come from Utah
While many students travel long distances to attend BYU, many are from right here in Utah. Students from Utah account for 35% of enrolled students.
The next highest state for enrollment is California with 11%. Idaho, Texas and Arizona residents each account for 5% of BYU's enrollment.
They study a wide variety of subjects
BYU offers 179 undergraduate majors, 107 undergraduate minors, 62 master's degree programs and 26 doctoral degree programs.
They speak many languages
Most BYU students are multi-lingual. Sixty-five percent of students speak a second language and there are 128 languages spoken on campus. The university teaches 62 languages regularly and offers certifications in 14 languages.
They had high scores in high school
The admittance rate for incoming BYU freshman is 53.4% of the more than 13,700 applicants. Incoming freshmen have an average ACT score of 29.5 and an average high school GPA of 3.86.
The male/female ratio is equal
In the past several years, male students have outnumbered female students, but that has leveled out with the split now at 50%.
There are several ethnicities represented in the student body
While the majority of students at BYU identify their ethnicity as Caucasian (82%), the other 18% of students come from a wide variety of races and ethnicities at the university. Six percent are Hispanic, 4% are multiethnic, 3% are Asian or Pacific Islander, 1% is Black and less than 1% are Native American.
Two-thirds are returned missionaries
According to BYU, 66% of students have been on missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- 15,204 men and 6,663 women.