When it was dedicated on October 17, 1950, as a highlight of the Diamond Jubilee, the Carl F. Eyring Science Center was the largest, most imposing academic building of its kind in the Mountain West. A milestone in campus growth and expansion, the $2 million structure added floor space (147,467 square feet) equal to that of six other major campus buildings. Dr. Carl F. Eyring, in whose honor it was named, was dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and had spent literally decades in advocating, planning, and modifying the concept of the building. Designed by Fred L. Markham and constructed by Christiansen Brothers, the building has cantilever stairways and a central Foucault pendulum. It contains 214 rooms, including 48 offices, 24 classrooms, 98 laboratories, 14 service rooms, an astronomical observatory, a planetarium, two acoustics chambers, 33 built-in display cases, 2,000 windows and 400 doors. A total of 2,500 students can be accommodated in classrooms and laboratories every hour.