Trump's campaign reeling after crude comments on women aired

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks during a town hall in Sandown, New Hampshire on Thursday. Trump made a series of lewd and sexually charged comments about women as he waited to make a cameo appearance on a soap opera in 2005. The Republican presidential nominee issued a rare apology Friday, “if anyone was offended.”

Many prominent Utah Republicans are condemning Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump for sexually crude comments the candidate made in 2005.

Two elected officials — Gov. Gary Herbert and U.S. Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Alpine — have withdrawn their support for Trump after recordings of the remarks came to light Friday.

Chaffetz, who is chairman of the House oversight committee, told Fox 13 of Salt Lake City that he "can no longer in good conscience endorse this person for president." He said he isn't sure who he'll vote for.

Chaffetz calls Trump's comments "some of the most abhorrent and offensive comments that you can possibly imagine."

Herbert tweeted Friday night that that Trump's statements "are beyond offensive and despicable."

Herbert says, "While I cannot vote for Hillary Clinton, I will not vote for Trump."

Herbert was an early Trump critic, but announced he would vote for him in August. He is among the first Republican officials in office to formally withdraw support for the Republican presidential nominee following the tape's release.

The tape, first reported by The Washington Post, included video and audio of Trump speaking with Billy Bush as they were going to a Hollywood set to tape a segment for "Access Hollywood." Trump is heard making derogatory comments about a married woman that he once pursued.

The candidate also said women would let people with star status do anything, including kissing and grabbing women on their genitals.

Trump issued a rare apology for the 2005 remarks, saying it was locker room banter. The three-sentence statement posted on his campaign website also attacked former President Bill Clinton, saying that the spouse of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has said far worse things to Trump on the golf course.

Other Utah Republicans have criticized Trump for his remarks. Former Gov. Jon Huntsman told The Salt Lake Tribune that Trump should withdraw from the race and let running mate Mike Pence lead the ticket.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who previously announced he wouldn't vote for Trump, commented on Trump's remarks on Twitter. The 2012 GOP presidential candidate wrote "Such vile degradations demean our wives and daughters and corrupt America's face to the world."