Utah Valley University, as it is known today, opened in 1941 as Central Utah Vocational School. The school was located in south Provo at the time. In 1945, a 13-acre site was in Provo for new college facilities and the Provo Campus of the school was built in 1963 The Provo campus was designed for 1,200 students.
By 1971, the enrollment was nearly 2,000 students, more than the campus in Provo could accommodate.
The growth also brought about name changes for the college. In 1963, the name was changed to the Utah Trade Technical Institute and in 1967, it was again changed to the Utah Technical College.
The growth also led to a new campus, and 185 acres of farmland in Orem was purchased, which is the current location of the university. The initial portion of campus was dedicated in March 1977.
In 1987, the Utah Legislature changed the school’s name to the Utah Valley Community College, and in 1993, the Board of Regents changed the name to Utah Valley State College.
UVU’s historical reports say that the late 1990s and the early 2000s were a time of extensive construction on UVU’s campus, and on July 1, 2008, UVSC officially became Utah Valley University.
Take a visual look at what UVU's campuses looked like in the past.
To see more historic slideshows, visit http://heraldextra.com/history.