American Fork was officially incorporated in 1853, and is home to a variety of historic buildings that are still being used throughout the city. Several of those buildings and homes date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s. Here are 10 historic American Fork buildings, all of which have been registered with the National Register of Historic Places.
-Stacy Johnson, Daily Herald
American Fork Presbyterian Church
This historic church building at 75 N. 100 East was the first Protestant church in American Fork, and was constructed in 1879.
The church looks much like it did when it was originally built, though an addition was added in the mid-1940s and an extensive renovation was done in the 1970s that helped to reverse interior modernization that took place after World War II, according to the National Register of Historic Places. Stained glass windows were also installed to replace original clear glass.
In 2018, the church raised money to replace the cedar shake roof over the sanctuary and the roof over the education building.
The church was featured in the film “Footloose” and the television show “Touched by an Angel.”
American Fork City Hall
The American Fork City Hall at 31 Church St. was completed in 1903, and was the first municipal building in the city that was exclusively used for municipal purposes. The previous three city hall buildings were also used for community, school and religious purposes.
In the years since it was completed, the building underwent several renovations of the interior. In 1959, a wooden belfry was removed from the roof of the building and in 1977 and 1978, a new staircase was build and an elevator and partitions were added. The exterior of the building remains much the same as when it was built, with the exception of the removal of the belfry, according to the National Register of Historic Places.
American Fork Second Ward Meetinghouse
The American Fork Second Ward Meetinghouse was built in 1903 and dedicated in 1909. It served as a meetinghouse for the LDS Church until 1984 when it was privately purchased and converted to a private residence. Is it located at 130 W. 100 South.
American Fork Third Ward Meetinghouse
The American Fork Third Ward Building was built in 1903 and served as a meetinghouse for the LDS Church until 1994.
It was then remodeled and used as a preschool before being renovated again for use as a reception center.
The building is located at 190 W. 300 North, American Fork.
Harrington Elementary School
Built in 1903 with a matching addition built in 1934, the Harrington Elementary School continued in operation until the 1960s. It was then used until 1985 for students with disabilities.
The building is located at 50 N. Center St., American Fork.
Bank of American Fork Building
The Bank of American Fork Building, located at 33 E. Main St., was completed in 1911. It housed the Bank of American Fork until the bank company was taken over by the Consolidated Holding Company in the heart of the Great Depression.
The bank building was used as a retail store and an office building after 1941.
In 2015, the People’s Utah Bancorp, whose subsidiary is the Bank of American Fork, purchased the building. The company restored the building and incorporated safety measures.
Veterans Memorial Building
The building that later became the Legion Memorial Building was first opened in 1917 as a machinist shop. In 1932, American Fork City purchased the land then built and remodeled for two-and-a-half years to make into a space for memorial, club and civic activities. The building is located at 53 N. Center St.
Dunn-Binnall House and Farmstead
The Dunn-Binnall House and Farmstead, which stands at 352 N. 200 East in American Fork, was built in 1883. Renovations and additional buildings were built on the property in 1898 and 1924.
Warren B. Smith House
This home at 589 E. Main St. was originally owned by Warren B. Smith, who led the American Fork choir for 30 years, and sang in the Tabernacle Choir. He was also the superintendent of the American Fork Co-operative and a member of the American Fork City Council. His mother, Amanda Smith, lost her first husband and 10-year-old son in the Haun’s Mill Massacre. The home was built in 1897.
Henry & Elizabeth Parker Chipman House
This home, located at 846 E. 300 North was originally built in 1897 and underwent renovations in 1921.
Other historical structures
American Fork Cemetery Rock Walls
The walls along the south and east sides of the American Fork Cemetery were built as part of a Works Progress Administration project in 1937 and 1938. They are located at 600 N. 100 East.
Utah State Training School Amphitheater and Wall
The amphitheater and wall were constructed in the 1930s as part of Works Progress Administration projects of 1936 and 1937. They are located at about 845 E. 700 North.