Timpanogos Cave became a national monument in 1922, but has been a spot that Utah County residents have visited for much longer. 

Originally, there were several caves that were discovered. The first of those discoveries was recorded by Martin Hansen in the fall of 1887, according to the Utah State Historical Society. Hansen was cutting timber in American Fork Canyon and saw mountain lion tracks in the snow. When he followed the tracks, he noticed a small opening in the cliff's face. He climbed inside and discovered a cave. Shortly after, the cave became known as Hansen's Cave. 

According to the Historical Society, Hansen's Cave was later mined for onyx, some of which was used in the ornamentation of the Salt Lake Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The effects of that mining are still visible today. 

A second cave -- later known as Timpanogos Cave -- was discovered in 1914 or 1915 by two teenage boys, one of whom accidentally fell in it. 

in the early 1920s, the Alpine Hiking Club worked to make the cave more accessible to tourists. They held fundraising  and earned money to enlarge the path to the cave, install electric lights in the cave and provide a door for the entrance. 

The group also determined the name of the cave. Timpanogos Cave was chosen from many  of the suggestions that included The Cave of Crystal Cliffs, The Wonder Cave and The Cave of Elves, according to Utah Historical Society documents.

With several people making mining claims for the cave, a local forest ranger asked for the cave to be named a national monument. On Oct. 14, 1922, the cave was officially granted that status by President Warren G. Harding. 

Today, the cave is open for tours from spring until late October. 

Take a look at some of the images of the Timpanogos Cave over the decades.

To see more historic slideshows, visit http://heraldextra.com/history.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!