Two adults suffered third-degree burns when the all-terrain vehicle they were riding caught fire Wednesday at Fivemile Pass in western Utah County.
The man and woman were riding a Polaris 1000 ATV when the engine caught fire shortly before noon, according to Sgt. Spencer Cannon with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office.
The pair, who are 19 and 21 years old, were taken to a hospital for treatment. The vehicle fire also sparked a small grass fire.
Third-degree burns are the most severe type of burn where outer and middle layers of a patient’s skin is destroyed, according to John Hopkins Medicine.