Vivint fire 1

Lindon and Orem firefighters work on a fire burning inside the Vivint office building in Lindon Tuesday, March 18, 2014. MARK JOHNSTON/Daily Herald

LINDON — Hundreds of employees were evacuated and an Orem firefighter was injured Tuesday after a fire broke out in the ceiling of the Vivint call center in Lindon.

The fire began at about 9:15 a.m. in the building at 500 S. 500 West.

Chief Cody Cullimore with the Lindon Police Department said fire crews from Orem, Pleasant Grove and Provo responded to the blaze. At least six fire trucks were on scene at one point during the fire.

Cullimore said the injured firefighter, a man in his 50s, was hurt when part of the ceiling collapsed on him. He was taken to a local hospital with injuries to his hip and shoulder, but Cullimore said he is expected to be OK. The chief added that two employees were treated for minor smoke inhalation.

Officials believe the fire was started by heat tape in the roof that was intended to keep the gutter system from freezing. Cullimore said it is likely the fire smoldered for some time before actually igniting.

Jenna Cason, spokeswoman for Vivint, said there were about 300 Vivint employees working in the building when the fire started.

David Bywater, Vivint’s chief operating officer, said employees smelled smoke before fire alarms began sounding. Bywater said all employees got out safely.

Cullimore said a total of 500 people were evacuated from three interconnected buildings.

He described the affected building as the middle structure. Aquatherm and Cornerstone were two additional businesses also evacuated during the fire.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!