Lindon was officially incorporated as a town in 1924, but residents first began settling in the area as early as 1861.
The area sat between Pleasant Grove and Orem, which was at the time called the Provo Bench. Residents of what is now Lindon built homes along the route between Orem and Pleasant Grove, and the area gained the nickname "Stringtown."
The city eventually gained its current name through a misspelling of the type of tree that served as the drop-off spot for the area's mail -- a Linden tree. The name was misspelled as Lindon in the post office application process and the area's name remained with the unique spelling.
Several of the buildings and homes from the earliest era of Lindon's history still stand today. Here are 10 buildings that have been recognized by the Lindon Historic Preservation Commission or the National Register of Historic Places.
-Stacy Johnson, Daily Herald
The home on the historic Gillman Farm wasn’t the first home on the property. The original home on the property burned down in 1902, and the current home at 584 W. Gillman Lane in Lindon was built in 1903-1904 by John Gillman. The home was originally a two-room brick house, and two more rooms and a large pantry were added, according to the city’s Historic Preservation Commission.
During World War II, the home was remodeled and after war was over, plumbing was added to the home. The farm was recognized as a Century Farm by the state of Utah.
Robison Home/Cider Mill
The limestone brick for this building was brought to the area from American Fork Canyon by Lewis Seth Robison, who reportedly built this building after moving to the area in 1873. Robison was a farmer, lawyer, teacher and manufacturer, according to the Lindon Historic Preservation Commission. Robison ran a cider mill out of the building. The cider mill provided cider to local residents each fall and winter.
The building is now home to Los Hermanos.
Alfred Harper House
The Alfred Harper House at 125 W. 400 North in Lindon is the only house in Lindon listed with the National Register of Historic Places. According to the register, the front portion of the home was built in 1877, and the the west portion was built in 1889.
The finished home was 3,400 square feet in size and was one of the largest in the area at the time.
Harper worked for 30 years operating fruit orchards mostly consisting of apples, according to the National Register of Historic Places.
John Wadley Farm
This home was completed in 1882 by Joseph Wadley, who resided on the farm until his death in 1904. The home was built with Tulfa rock that was brought from Pleasant Grove, according to the city’s Historic Preservation Commission.
The home was purchased in 1988 by a descendant of Wadley, who restored the home to its original state before significant additions were added to the home.
According to Wadley Farms, a reception barn was moved to the property in 1995, and since that time a castle has also been built. The farm is now used as a reception center.
The farm remains a working farm with corn, pumpkins, grapes, apples, peaches, squash, cherries, pears and tomatoes.
It is located at 67 E. 400 North in Lindon.
Located at 778 W. Lakeview Road, the Wright home was built by Hyrum Wright in 1900.
According to the Lindon Historic Preservation Commission, the Wright Farm produced sugar beets for the sugar factory in Lehi. Because of the space within the home, it was also used for community events, including funerals and community gatherings.
The Fage Home at 400 N. 566 East in Lindon was completed by Frederick Fage and his father-in-law in 1901 after two years of construction, according to the Lindon Historic Preservation Commission.
Though other people helped with construction, all of the woodwork was completed by Fage, including a beautiful staircase inside the home.
'Red Church' Main Street Chapel
Though an earlier chapel for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was built in 1891, the Main Street Chapel is the one still standing.
The original Lindon Ward Chapel located at 400 North and Main Street in Lindon was torn down in 1941, and in 1952, the church building at the corner of Main and Center streets was dedicated.
In 2010, the building was set to be demolished, but city officials negotiated purchase of the building, which was renovated and converted to a community center and senior center.
Originally, this home was built as a one-room house in 1890 by Charles Levant Rodeback.
According to the Lindon Historic Preservation Commission, restoration began on the home in 1991 and a new home was built in 2002, which incorporated the old home.
The home is located at 540 W. Lakeview Road in Lindon.
The Cullimore Mercantile building was built on this property on State Street around 1900, by Albert L. Cullimore, according to the Lindon Historic Preservation Commission. According to historic records, the store provided a wide variety of items for local residents including machinery, medicine, hardware, clothing and food. Local farmers also brought fresh produce to trade for merchandise.
The Cullimore Mercantile was sold in 1937, and the building at 398 N. State St. was eventually vacated and today only the shell of the building remains.
Harris House (Rebuilt in new location)
The Harris Home, which was located at 310 N. State St. in Lindon was one of the original homes in the area when it was still known as “Stringtown.” It was built around 1865 and was owned by Harriet and Joseph Harris.
According to the Lindon Historic Preservation Commission, the home was often the site of dances and other social events.
At one point, according to the commission, the home was scheduled for demolition, when Lindon resident Pam Dain pulled her school bus (with no children aboard) between bulldozers and the home in an effort to preserve the historic structure. She did save it at that point.
The home was eventually dismantled and moved to construct the pioneer-style home in the city’s Pioneer Park at 150 S. 500 East.