The city of Lindon has a rich agricultural and cultural background.
Lindon was originally settled in 1861, and before it was a city, the area between Orem and Pleasant Grove was known as String Town. It was formed as an outgrowth of Pleasant Grove and was called String Town because the houses were built along a single road like a string, according to the Utah Collections Multimedia Encyclopedia.
In the early 1900s, there was an old Linden tree growing in the city. The people in the area applied for a new post office and it was decided that the name of the location would be “Linden” because to that point the mail had been dropped off under the Linden tree, according to history from the Linden Nursery in Lindon.
Along the process, the spelling of the name Linden was misspelled to Lindon and was never corrected. The original owner of the Linden Nursery, Ed Platt, decided to correct the spelling of in the name of his business, despite the “O” spelling of the city.
Today, Lindon is home to nearly 11,000 people.
Take a visual look at what Lindon looked like in the past.
To see more historic slideshows, visit http://heraldextra.com/history.