Pleasant Grove was officially incorporated in 1855, and is home to a variety of historic buildings that are still being used throughout the city. Several of those buildings and homes date back to the mid- to late- 1800s and early 1900s. Here are 10 of the many historic buildings in Pleasant Grove, all 10 of which have been registered with the National Register of Historic Places.
-Stacy Johnson, Daily Herald
Cornelius Baxter Commercial Buildings
The first of these two commercial buildings on Center Street was built in 1893 at 1 E. Center St. It was built by Cornelius Baxter, who had made his fortune in mining. The building, at the corner of Center and Main streets, replaced a saloon that had previously stood at that intersection.
The building at 1 E. Center St. houses Evan’s Roman Way Barbershop.
A partnering building was built at 3 E. Center St. in 1910. The second building was larger and more ornate than the building it sat next to. In 1928, the city leased the building and built a cement ramp to make it a permanent firehouse. It was restored in 1940 and again housed businesses.
The building is now home of Saving Hope Restored.
David N. Adamson Commercial Building
David Adamson was a sheep farmer from Heber. He moved to Pleasant Grove and built a commercial building that sat next door to Baxter’s second building. Adamson’s building was twice as big as Baxter’s building. The National Register of Historic Places says that the building was built in 1910, though the Utah Department of Heritage and Arts states that it was built in 1901.
The three buildings stand like a staircase with their graduated size.
The building is home to the Star Saloon.
The Beers House-Hotel in Pleasant Grove was built in 1885 and was renovated 1930 and again in 1993. It is located at 65 N. 100 East.
It was one of three hotels in Pleasant Grove in the late 19th century. The hotel/home was built by Franklin Beers and his wife Elizabeth. Beers owned a mercantile business in Pleasant Grove and his wife managed the hotel while raising their nine children in the house.
Today it is home to GoCertify, a local IT company.
Pleasant Grove School
Also called the “Old Bell School,” the Pleasant Grove School was a pioneer-era school constructed of adobe at 55 S. 100 East. When originally constructed, it was a one-room schoolhouse, but a second room was added in 1880 and a third in 1886. It was used as a school until 1893. It was again used as a high school from 1910 to 1912 and then was used as a library until 1940.
Since 1945, the school has been the subject of community preservation efforts. The building has been a relic hall, and is now known as the Pioneer Museum.
Pleasant Grove Town Hall
The Pleasant Grove Town Hall, built in 1887, replaced the city’s first town hall, which was a one-room log building. It was used as town hall building until 1940, when a third town hall building was built in the city. The Pleasant Grove Town Hall building was then used as a lunchroom for Pleasant Grove High School until 1949. Since that time, it has been used as the home of the Pleasant Grove First Baptist Church and the Pleasant Grove Public Library. Located at 107 S. 100 East, it is now home to Bliss Photo Studio and Boutique.
Pleasant Grove Tithing Office
Built in 1908, the Pleasant Grove Tithing Office is one of 28 surviving tithing offices for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Utah. It is located at 7 S. 300 East.
The Drugstore/Review building was built in 1900 by David Adamson to house Pleasant Grove Drug. According to the Utah Division of State History, the building was then a millinery shop and part of Clark’s General Merchandise. It was also used for the Red and White Store, which was a meat and grocery market. The building was purchased in 1956 by Abe Gibson who moved the Pleasant Grove Review presses to the building. It is located at 11 S. Main St.
Today it is home to PG Printers.
Built in 1908 by William L. Hayes, this building originally housed Mason’s Men’s Clothing Store. Hyrum Clark moved his general merchandise store into the building sometime before 1922, and his family ran the business until 1942. The building was then converted to Radmall Hardware in 1944, which was located in the building until 1988. The building was restored in 1997. Today, the building is home to Rosebud Antiques at 15 S. Main St.
Smith Rexall Drug Building
Smith Rexall Drug in downtown Pleasant Grove has been open for more than 100 years. The store opened in 1910, but moved into its current building in 1917. It has been family-owned since that time. It is located at 10 S. Main St. in Pleasant Grove.
The Bank of Pleasant Grove building
The Bank of Pleasant Grove building has stood at the corner of Main and Center streets for more than 100 years. It was built in 1917, introducing more prairie-style architecture to Pleasant Grove’s downtown area. According to the National Register of Historic Places, the building still retains much of its historical integrity. It is located at 2 S. Main St.
A few more ...
Elijah Mayhew House
Location: 214 S. Main St.
William Black/Reuben Weeks House
Location: 151 E. Center St.
Cyrus Benjamin Hawley House
Location: 55 E. Center St.
Fugal Dugout House
Location: 630 N. 400 East
Samuel Green House
Location: 264 E. 200 South
Neils Peter Larsen House
Location: 1150 N. 100 East
Otto L. Mayhew House
Location: 49 S. 200 East
Jacob Hanmer White House
Location: 599 E. 100 South
Joseph Olpin House
Location: 510 Locust Ave.
Peter Axel Johnson House
Location: 1075 N. 100 East
Christen Larsen House
Location: 990 N. 400 East
John Alma Adams House
Location: 625 E. 200 South
Benjamin W. Driggs Home
Location: 119 E. Battlecreek Road
William Friend Young House
Location: 550 E. 500 North
Edward Wadley House
Location: 2445 N. Canyon Road
Joseph Silas Hillman House
Location: 244 E. 200 South
Thomas A. Richins House
Location: 405 N. 500 East
Edward F. Wadley House
Location: 110 E. 200 South
Fugals Blacksmith Shop
Location: 680 N. 400 East
Harvey M. Vance/Burleigh C. Linebaugh House
Location: 79 W. 200 South
Bank of Pleasant Grove Building
Location: 2 S. Main St., Pleasant Grove
John L. Huchel House
Location: 90 E. Center St.
Location: 20 S. Main St.
Old Second Ward Chapel
Location: 125 N. 100 East
Clifford L. Wright House
Location: 90 N. 100 East
Pleasant Grove City Hall
Location: 35. S. Main St.
Carl Smith House
Location: 155 E. 500 South