The Pleasant Grove Veteran’s Memorial Swimming Pool will reopen more than a week after about 50 people were sent to hospitals for chlorine poisoning, the city announced Tuesday.
The pool is expected to reopen Thursday.
During a routine check during the afternoon of June 4, staff found that chemical levels in the pool were low, which caused an assistant pool manager to check the recirculating water pump’s filter, according to a Facebook post on the Pleasant Grove City account.
“After checking the filter, the assistant manager noticed that the pump had been tripped due to an unknown cause,” the post reads. “The assistant manager tried to restart the pump but was unsuccessful.”
The pump restarted at 4:45 p.m. after a maintenance supervisor was called, according to the post. When the pump restarted, water pushed the extra chlorine that had backed up while the pump was off into the pool.
The chlorine became gaseous and emergency services were called.
The city has purchased and is installing a new control box that distributes the chlorine. The box has built-in safeguards to prevent another similar incident, according to the post. The new box would prevent chlorine from being pumped into pipe if the pump were to lose power again.
The Utah County Health Department is expected to inspect the pool again once the new equipment has been installed.
The health department had ordered the pool to create a protocol to address what happens if the pump shuts down again, according to a June 5 inspection report from the pool. An inspection report from the day after the incident stated that the pool’s chemical levels were within acceptable ranges.