Springville was officially incorporated in 1853, and is home to a variety of historic buildings that are still being used throughout the city. Several of those buildings and homes date back to the mid- to late- 1800s and early 1900s. Here are 12 historic Springville buildings, all of which have been registered with the National Register of Historic Places.
-Stacy Johnson, Daily Herald
William and Ann Bringhurst House
This home at 306 S. 200 West in Springville was originally built in 1856 with additions added in 1895 and 1955. It was originally owned by William Bringhurst who was a Springville city councilman, member of the Territorial Legislature, member of the Board of Directors for Brigham Young Academy and director of Provo Woolen Mills.
William H. and Sarah D. Meneray House
The William H. and Sarah D. Meneray House at 190 S. 200 West in Springville was built in 1885, with the addition of a porch in 1930. It was originally owned by William H. Meneray who was a well-known businessman in Springville.
Henry T. and Rebecca Reynolds House
The Henry T. and Rebecca Reynolds House at 270 W. 200 South, Springville was built in 1875, with additions added in 1891. It was originally owned by Henry R. and Rebecca Reynolds. He was the co-founder of the H.T. Reynolds & Co. Mercantile business.
Construction on the Johnson/Kearns Hotel, located at 94 W. 200 South in Springville, began in 1892 and was completed around 1900. The original building was added to between 1908 and 1925, according to the National Register of Historic Places.
It was known as the Johnson Hotel until 1910, when the name was changed to the Kearns Hotel. The building was sold several times between 1937 and 1980, being renamed as the Valley Tavern Hotel, Valley Tavern and Valley Hotel before it stood vacant from 1980-1990.
The building underwent extensive renovations in 1991, and was reopened as the Johnson/Kearns Hotel Bed and Breakfast.
The hotel has since closed.
Ami and Amanda Oakley House
Ami Oakley was a local farmer and livestock owner who originally owned the house at 219 E. 400 North in Springville. The home was built in 1895.
Nephi and Annie P. Kindred House
This home at 188 W. Center St. in Springville was built in 1896, with an addition constructed in 1989. It was originally owned by Nephi Kindred, a well-known blacksmith of the time.
The Senior Hotel
The Senior Hotel was built at 296 S. Main St. in Springville in 1900.
The building was originally constructed as a retail furniture store owned by James Caffrey and Samuel M. Davis. The store was called Caffrey & Davis. Davis left the business a few years after it opened and Caffrey owned the business until his death in 1907 or 1908, according to the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1908, the building housed Robinson Brothers Music Co. It was sold in 1921 to Laura Senior. It housed a billiard hall until 1928 or 1929 when the business expanded to include a hotel and cafe and was called The Senior Hotel.
The hotel closed in the 1980s, according to the National Register of Historic Places, and sat vacant for years.
According to the Registry, the buildings purchased in 1995 by Bradley and Elizabeth Petersen and underwent extensive restoration. Today the building is home to Pier 49 Pizza.
These twin homes were built about 1900, and are located at 112 and 136 E. 200 North in Springville. The two homes were built by brothers who were born nine months apart in the same year — Clarance L. Crandall and Nelson D. Crandall.
This home, located at 254 S. 300 East in Springville, was built by popular sculptor Cyrus E. Dallin as a gift for his parents in 1905.
Springville Carnegie Library
Built in 1922, the Springville Carnegie Library was home to the city's library until 1965. The building is now home to a Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Museum. It is located at 175 S. Main St.
Springville High School Mechanical Arts building
The Springville High School Mechanical Arts building was constructed in 1929 to help emphasize the curriculum of mechanical arts, which was presented as an important curriculum statewide at the time. It was part of the original Springville High School campus. The building was used for vocational training for high school students until 1960. The Mechanical Arts building stood vacant until 1986. It was later used by Springville City as a home for its Arts Commission.
It is located at 443 S. 200 East.
Springville Art Museum
The building that houses the Springville Art Museum was built as a public works project as part of the New Deal in 1936 and 1937. At the time, it was called the Springville High School Art Gallery. The building was constructed to house Springville High School’s permanent art collection, which began in 1903.
The building was expanded with a gift from W.W. Clyde in 1965.