Driving anywhere can be a risk, and crashes on Utah County roads sometimes seem like a daily occurrence. But where are you most likely to see crashes?
We analyzed data from more than 40,000 crashes in Utah County intersections to determine which intersections have the highest number of crashes in Utah County. The data came from the Crash Studies Team at the Utah Department of Transportation’s Traffic and Safety Division. The group maintains a detailed database of all crashes on public roads in Utah.
The data tracks all crashes from Jan. 1, 2016 to Oct. 15, 2019, including crashes at a variety of severities and causes. It includes crashes with contributing factors including pedestrians, animals, motorcycles, speed, teenage drivers, distracted and drowsy driving.
Narrowing down the information to crashes in Utah County intersections, these are the most dangerous intersections — the intersections with the most total crashes in that time frame.
1. 800 North and 1200 West in Orem
Number of crashes: 87
This intersection, just off I-15 in Orem near WinCo tops the list of dangerous intersections. Of the 87 crashes at the intersection, 26 reported injuries.
2. Timpanogos Highway and Digital Drive in Lehi
Number of crashes: 80
Of the 80 crashes at this intersection, 17 reported injuries. Sixteen of the crashes involved teenage drivers and 15 happened at night.
3. University Parkway and State Street in Orem
Number of crashes: 78
Located near University Place, this intersection sees very high traffic volumes. Nineteen of the 78 crashes at this intersection in this time period reported injuries. Teenage drivers were involved in 21 of the crashes and older drivers were involved in 11.
4. Center Street and I-15 southbound offramp in Provo
Number of crashes: 77
This intersection is the first stoplight after exiting southbound lanes on I-15 at the Center Street. Injuries were reported in 32 of the 77 crashes at this intersection. Eighteen of the crashes happened at night.
5. 400 South and Main Street in Springville
Number of crashes: 75
At this intersection, 17 of the 75 reported crashes resulted in injuries. Teenage drivers were involved in 22 of the crashes and six of the crashes involved distracted drivers.
6. 1750 West and 400 South in Springville
Number of crashes: 73
Injuries were reported in 10 of the 73 crashes at this intersection. Teenage drivers were involved in 10 of the crashes.
7. University Parkway and Main Street in Orem
Number of crashes: 68
Of the 68 crashes at this intersection, 26 reported injuries. Teenage drivers were involved in 18 of the crashes. Distracted drivers were reported in 12 of the crashes.
7. State Street and 1600 North in Orem
Number of crashes: 68
Seventeen of the crashes at this intersection reported injuries. Eight of the crashes happened at night.
9. State Street and North County Boulevard in Pleasant Grove
Number of crashes: 65
North County Boulevard in northern Utah County has now been open for more than a decade and has grown to be a heavily traveled road in that time. In our time frame, of the 65 crashes recorded at the intersection of North County Boulevard and State Street, 24 happened at night. Teenage drivers were involved in 18 and nine involved older drivers.
10. Center Street and 1200 West in Orem
Number of crashes: 64
Of the 64 crashes at this intersection, 29 were reported as injury crashes. Teenage driers were involved in 15 of the crashes.
11. Main Street and State Street in Lehi
Number of crashes: 62
There were 62 reported crashes at this intersection on the northern end of The Meadows shopping center. Twenty of those crashes had reported injuries.
12. Triumph Boulevard and Timpanogos Highway in Lehi
Number of crashes - 61
This intersection is the second on the list along Timpanogos Highway, with 61 crashes. Of those, 13 reported injuries. Twelve of the 61 crashes also involved speeding as a contributing factor.
12. State Street and 800 South in Orem
Number of crashes: 61
There were 61 crashes at the intersection of State Street and 800 South in Orem. Of those 20 resulted in injuries, 12 involved teenage drivers, nine happened at night and eight involved distracted drivers.
12. Pleasant Grove Boulevard and State Street in Pleasant Grove
Number of crashes: 61
Of the 61 crashes at this intersection, 13 resulted in injuries. There was also a pedestrian fatality recorded at this intersection.
15. 800 North and State Street in Orem
Number of crashes: 60
Of the 60 crashes at this Orem intersection, 13 reported injuries and 13 involved teenage drivers.
Mapping it out:
16. Main Street and Kawakami Drive in American Fork - 59 crashes reported
16 . Main Street and 1400 North in Springville - 59 crashes reported
18. Center Street and Orem Boulevard in Orem - 56 crashes reported
19. Cougar Boulevard and University Avenue in Provo - 55 crashes reported
19. Pleasant Grove Boulevard and North County Boulevard - 55 crashes reported
21. U.S. Highway 6 and Canyon Creek Parkway in Spanish Fork - 54 crashes reported
21. University Parkway and 400 West in Orem - 54 crashes reported
23. Center Street and State Street in Orem - 52 crashes reported
23. 400 South and 950 West in Springville - 52 crashes reported
25. State Street and 1200 South in Orem - 51 crashes reported
25. Timpanogos Highway and Alpine Highway in Lehi - 51 crashes reported
27. Main Street and 850 East in Lehi - 50 crashes reported
28.University Avenue and 500 North in Provo - 48 crashes reported
28. University Parkway and 200 East in Orem - 48 crashes reported
30. Redwood Road and Pony Express Parkway in Saratoga Springs - 47 crashes reported
30. University Parkway and 2230 North - 47 crashes reported