Fourth case of avian influenza confirmed in Sanpete County
TAYLORSVILLE — Officials with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food (UDAF) have confirmed a fourth case of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in an additional turkey farm in Sanpete County.
“This additional case of HPAI is concerning due to the close proximity of other turkey farms in Sanpete County and the large impact this could have on our turkey farmers,” said state veterinarian, Dr. Dean Taylor. “Immediate action was taken to contain the disease on this farm and prevent further spread in the county.”
Surveillance in the form of phone calls and door to door will be conducted in surrounding areas of the confirmed case to help prevent further spread of HPAI. To view all current surveillance areas and for more information about HPAI in Utah, visit https://ag.utah.gov/hpai.
Symptoms of HPAI include high death loss among flocks, nasal discharge, decreased appetite or water consumption, and lack of coordination in birds. If domestic birds are experiencing any of these symptoms, please contact the state veterinarian’s office immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org. Early reporting and action will help to contain the disease.
Spread of HPAI is expected to increase as fall migration of wild birds begins. Anyone involved with poultry production from the small backyard to the large commercial producer should review their biosecurity activities to ensure the health of their birds. USDA APHIS has materials about biosecurity, including videos, checklists, and a toolkit available at: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/avian/defend-the-flock-program/dtf-resources/dtf-resources.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the recent HPAI detections do not present an immediate public health concern; only one human case of this strain of HPAI has been detected in the United States. As a reminder, proper handling and cooking poultry and eggs to an internal temperature of 165˚F is recommended as a general food safety precaution.