1. The Huskers have won five national titles (1970, 1971, 1993, 1995 and 1997)
The first two were under Bob Devaney, the last three under Tom Osborne. Yeah, the 90’s were good to the Cornhuskers.
2. Nebraska has sold out Memorial Stadium 340 straight home games.
The BYU-Nebraska game is going to be a sellout, so make it 341. Makes you wonder how many Cougar fans were able to get their hands on some tickets.
3. The Huskers haven’t won a conference title since 1999.
That’s stunning, considering that Nebraska is still considered an elite program. Three times – 2006 and and 2010 in the Big 12 and 2012 in the Big Ten – the Huskers were division champs but lost the conference title game.
4. Nebraska joined the Big Ten in 2011.
The Huskers said good-bye to Big 12 rivals Colorado, Texas and Kansas State and jumped into the Big Ten beginning in 2011. Nebraska played for the Big Ten title in 2012 but got drilled 70-31 by Wisconsin, a nightmare night that most Nebraska fans would love to forget.
5. Memorial Stadium (92,000) would be the third largest city in Nebraska during home games.
With no pro sports teams nearby, the Huskers are the pride of the entire state. And most of them show up on Saturdays.