Felony charge filed against Provo OB-GYN accused of sexual abuse by patients

Harrison Epstein, Daily Herald file photo
The North University Medical & Dental facility in Provo is shown on Thursday, March 17, 2022. Dr. David Broadbent maintained an office in the facility.The Utah County Attorney’s Office has charged Dr. David Broadbent of Provo with one count of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony, the office announced in a press release Thursday.
Four women who were patients of Broadbent at various points filed a lawsuit against him in 2022, accusing the OB-GYN of sexual abuse and battery. More women soon began to come forward, with nearly 100 women joining the lawsuit.
Many women also filed criminal reports, some as early as March 2022, with Thursday being the first time charges have been brought against Broadbent.
After the allegations, Broadbent voluntarily surrendered his medical license in 2022 and is not practicing as a physician.
In the press release, the county attorney’s office said other reports against Broadbent are still being investigated.
“The Utah County Attorney’s Office and local law enforcement continue to investigate other allegations and will make a determination whether additional charges will be filed against Dr. Broadbent when these investigations are completed,” the release read.
Earlier this month, the Utah County Commission approved a contract for the attorney’s office to hire a nurse practitioner who specializes in sexual assault exams to review the cases as the office continued to investigate.
The 2022 lawsuit against Broadbent initially was dismissed in October 2022 by a district court judge, who said the claims should have been filed as medical malpractice.
Lawyers for the women appealed the district court decision to the Utah Supreme Court, with the higher court hearing their case in October 2023. The Supreme Court has yet to announce a decision in the case.