Neglecting a home’s exterior can be a disservice to homeowners, particularly those looking to increase the value of their homes. Curb appeal is important, as a home’s appearance can greatly affect prospective buyers’ perceptions.
Knowing which projects can offer the most bang for their remodeling buck can help homeowners make the right choices when improving the exterior of their homes. The following are some areas where homeowners can direct their focus if their end goal is a great-looking home with added value, as determined by the 2019 “Cost vs. Value Report” from Remodeling magazine. This report compares the average cost of 22 remodeling projects with the value those projects retain at resale across 136 markets.
- Garage door replacement: Homeowners can recoup 97.5% of their investment on a new garage door. This remodel tops the list for good looks and value. The average cost of $3,611 is for replacing an existing two-car garage.
- Manufactured stone veneer: Replacing a portion of vinyl siding with stone veneer can greatly improve curb appeal, adding style that can set a home apart. Homeowners can expect to recoup a 94.9% return on their investment.
- Wood deck addition: A wooden deck on the rear or side of a home enhances homeowners’ ability to enjoy the outdoors year-round. A wood deck addition recoups 75.6% of the cost of homeowners’ initial investment.
- Siding replacement: Not only does old or weathered siding look unsightly, it can impact the energy efficiency of a home. Even though a siding replacement project is costly — at roughly $16,000 — it offers a 75% return and peace of mind that the home is being well-protected from the elements.
- New entry door: Replacing an existing door with a 20-gauge steel door complete with clear dual-pane half-glass panel, jambs and an aluminum threshold with composite stop gets homeowners 75% of their initial investment back at resale. Improving the door isn’t all about good looks, either. A door that isn’t well-insulated or secure can be problematic.
In addition to these improvements, homeowners would be wise to focus on some upgraded landscaping, an upgraded roof, new windows, and improved exterior lighting as surefire ways to add curb appeal and potential value to their homes.