homepage logo

Community

Garden Help Desk: Suckers! How to care for damaged trees with new growths

Question: I have a young sycamore tree. I planted it a few years ago and this year it has sycamore scale. At this point, the leaves are falling off and the tree is sending up growths from the bottom. Any advice on how I should treat this? Do I let the growths continue so that the tree has ...

Their Voice: Recognizing direct support professionals for their important work

On behalf of the many service providers in Utah Valley and across the state, families and people with disabilities, I wanted to identify and thank all direct support professionals. I chose this time because Sept. 12 marks the beginning of National Direct Support Professional Recognition Week. ...

Tales from Utah Valley: Be part of the healing for sexual assault survivors

Reading the news lately makes us realize that people all over the world can use our help. With the tragedy in Afghanistan, Hurricane Ida, increasing numbers of COVID patients, those struggling to put food on the table and people right here in our own neighborhoods who are suffering in one way ...

Study shines light on effects of COVID-19 on working women’s health

The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have reached the depths of personal life throughout the world. A new research project examined how those have trickled down to women in Utah. On Wednesday, the Utah Women & Leadership Project released its last in a series of six studies on “The ...

Victim advocates help survivors navigate through trauma

A typical day in the life of a victim advocate can be long, busy, rewarding, frustrating and emotionally draining. Within each community, an advocate or more than one advocate is there to help those who are suffering, victimized and rebuilding their lives. One of those advocates — Kimberly ...

Savvy Senior: How to handle your Medicare coverage if you move

Dear Savvy Senior, My husband and I are moving to a different area of the country to be near our daughter. Will this affect our Medicare benefits? Will we need to adjust our coverage or reenroll in a new plan? Moving Away Dear Moving, Moving can indeed affect your Medicare benefits ...

Garden Help Desk: Accidental herbicide exposure to peaches? That’s the pits

What happened to my peaches?  The peaches on two of my peach trees have oval shapes and bumps on them and the skin on the bumps is darker. Some parts of the peaches look old. This looks like some peaches that were brought to our office a few years ago. The peach trees had been exposed to ...

BYU study: Praising middle school students improves on-task behavior up to 70%

Students speaking out of turn, texting, telling rude jokes, falling asleep in class, making distracting gestures — managing these behaviors is all in a day’s work for many middle school teachers, who shepherd adolescents through some of their most trying years. Add in the disruptions of a ...