homepage logo

Community

United Way: Great community board leadership is key to success

At the beginning of another year, I have been thinking of the challenges we have all been facing and the way we at United Way have worked to provide ever expanding services despite these challenges. I believe one of the ways we have been able to accomplish this is through our great community ...

Mayors of Utah Valley: A drought solution beneath our feet

It has been said that cities with water have lots of problems; cities with no water have one problem. A long-term goal of mine is to ensure Provo never has that “one problem.” If there has been a silver lining to Utah’s recent drought, it is that it has reminded us how reliant we are on ...

Community Action Services: Resolving to reach more people in need

The new year is all about setting goals for improvement. Less than 10% of people who make resolutions this year will keep them, but at Community Action Services and Food Bank, our plans are too important to ignore.  Setting goals is a great way to better yourself, whether they are for ...

Money Matters: How to reduce customer turnover

Did you know that a 10% increase in customer retention can lead to a 30% rise in the value of the company? Keeping your customers happy is unquestionably good for your bottom line, and if you’re a small business owner, chances are you already have a strategy for just that purpose. But could ...

Garden Help Desk: Pantry moths appear out of nowhere

I have pantry moths in my kitchen. Again. I had them couple of years ago, got everything cleaned up and didn’t see any more until last month. All at once there were lots of them. I thought I was being so careful! Those moths are probably Indian meal moths, a common pantry pest. They are ...

Their Voice: Professional mental health conference slated

I received some information on another conference that is taking place. This particular conference is for professionals and students but worth adding.   The Utah Association for Infant Mental Health is presenting their 2022 conference “Nurturing the Nurturer: Tools for supporting emotional ...

Utah Valley Calendar: Things to do – Jan. 15

AMERICAN FORK Events at the American Fork Library: Jan. 18: Brown Bag Book Chat at noon. Bring your lunch and come chat about what you're reading. Jan. 19: Tea and Trivia at 7 p.m. Try some herbal teas and test your trivia knowledge of books, movies and more. For individuals and teams. Jan. ...

Savvy Senior: Tax breaks for caregiver of elderly parents

Dear Savvy Senior, Are there any tax breaks that you know of for family caregivers? I help financially support my 82-year-old mother and would like to find out if I can write any of these expenses off on my taxes. — Supplemental Sam Dear Sam, There are actually several tax credits and ...