homepage logo

Community

Health and Wellness: 8 health resolutions besides losing weight

Losing weight is a common New Year’s resolution, with 48% of Americans choosing that as their goal, according to http://discoverhappyhabits.com. But when it comes to your health, the number on the scale isn’t the only way to measure your progress. Your ability to focus throughout the day, ...

Money Matters: Financial habits to give up in 2022

Are you making a financial New Year’s resolution this year? In a survey by Fidelity Investments, surveyors found that 43% of Americans making a financial resolution want to save more money, 41% want to pay down debt and 31% want to spend less money. If you’d like to do better financially in ...

Garden Help Desk: How to best protect arborvitae branches in winter

My arborvitae had some bent branches after the last couple of snowstorms. I brushed off most of the snow and the branches straightened out, but what can I do to stop this without damaging the branches? Some of my foundation plantings have boxwoods and a few of the branches got broken by snow ...

Savvy Senior: How to write a loved ones’ obituary

Dear Savvy Senior, Can you provide any tips on how to write an obituary? My dad, who has terminal cancer, has asked me to write his obituary, which will be published in the funeral program and run in our local newspaper. — Not a Writer Dear Not, I’m very sorry to hear about your dad’s ...

Their Voice: Advocacy day is Jan. 19

Happy New Year! There are certain times that there seems to be a lull and nothing is really going on. The time right after Christmas and then New Year is that time. People stop making plans during December because the focus is the holidays, and then it takes a little time to get restarted after ...

Utah Valley Calendar: Things to do – Jan. 8

ONLINE Childcare symposium — The Utah State University Utah Women and Leadership Project will hold a free childcare symposium via Zoom from 1 to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 11, for anyone interested in understanding and finding solutions for the complexities of childcare. The event will include ...

Inside out: An intuitive approach to sustainable change

Who do you want to become this upcoming year? So often with a new year we set resolutions thinking about all the things we want to have, like a new house, or to do, like lose 20 pounds. Instead, what if this year you contemplated who you want to become. If you remember studying Maslow’s ...

BYU: Innovative process helps BYU engineers track icebergs in the South Pole

"I never imagined I'd be tracking Antarctic icebergs in the middle of Utah," mused BYU junior Scheridan Vorwaller Cloward, reflecting on her three years' work for the Microwave Earth Remote Sensing (MERS) Laboratory. Through the efforts of Cloward and her coworkers in the lab, BYU — despite ...

Tales from Utah Valley: Keep the spirit of giving alive throughout the year

As a public school teacher, I once saw a seven-year-old boy putting the remains of his school lunch sandwich into his backpack. I asked him what he was doing and he explained that he was taking it home to share with his family. I soon learned that his parents were going through some tough ...